dantemorgan: (Default)
[personal profile] dantemorgan
This year the 24hr lands right at the end of the Easter holidays. Which is great, because it means I've got loads of time to clean my tent, pack, panic buy batteries, make things, and clean my tent (I really, really need to clean my tent... Otherwise I suspect I'll be sleeping in Mildew City for the weekend).

The 'making things' part also gives me something to do, because I've spent the evenings this week just tidying my room, and I'd rather not go back to that cycle of fun.

So, I has plans. Usually the slightest hint of an NPC role sends me straight to sewing a whole new set of kit. I'm not going quite that far, because I've got enough random bits that work as underlayers (red dress, white dress from last year's 24, Granny's Curtains Shirt...), but I've got it set in my mind that I'm going to make a Pirate Frock Coat. I think I'm going with the Simplicity 3677 pattern (because from what I've heard it works, and the other items don't look too bad either), probably in black because it goes with everything. I'll probably line it, either in 'gold' or red depending on how I feel. I was originally going to use a heavy cotton or similar for durability, but I'm also considering waxed cotton. Either way, I'll need to go to a Fabricland at some point to prod, so I'll either take a trip to Bristol or wait until I go home for Easter and wrangle with the scissor eating cat.

The other part of the plans is cooking. I'm considering 'entering' the grog competition because I've got loads of berries in the freezer and I don't want any more jam. So, some variation on blackcurrant cordial, with either blackberries or sloes to top up the fruit content, maybe some honey replacing some sugar, possibly a darker sugar instead of white, maybe a bit of vanilla, maybe some spices... I've only got enough fruit for one shot at it, so to be honest it's likely to end up as 'bung it all in the pan, see what happens'. Whatever comes out should be salvageable in some format, at least.

I'm also planning on making some sweets from the recipe book I got for Christmas. The toffee I made was really nice and worked perfectly, so I've got high hopes that other things will work as well. On the 'possible' list at the moment are lollipops (strawberry and vanilla seems like a good combination, coloured to be 'pieces of eight'), fudge or truffles (shaped into balls, coated with either cocoa powder or dark chocolate as 'cannon balls'), sea foam (which is a sort of divinity made with dark sugar, the recipe has crystallised ginger in it which I might swap for something else), and coconut ice (ok, not really difficult, but it's got the tropical theme, and I can make it in black and white).

We'll see, I suppose. I've got a few weeks to try things out, for example whether I can juggle pouring boiling syrup into meringue without obtaining third degree burns (unlikely) and whether whatever I produce tastes good to normal people (i.e. not Paul who is both non-impartial and a dustbin).

Date: 2015-03-07 10:43 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] lilacivy.livejournal.com
Simplicity 3677 is what I used for Seekers frock coat :D and I shall be making a few of the other bits for Hattie. Will be fun!

Profile

dantemorgan: (Default)
dantemorgan

May 2017

S M T W T F S
 12345 6
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031   

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 27th, 2026 03:06 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios