Because committing to a full ‘good’ or ‘bad’ is not for me…
Tent- didn’t leak! Huzzah! Patches seem OK, probably didn’t actually need the under groundsheet (which needs a trim anyway).
Peg leg and other props- for things which didn’t take very long at all, and were mostly made with stuff I had lying around, I was quite happy. Ugly Parrot didn’t turn out quite as ugly as I thought, and the improvised pattern actually went together to form something vaguely parrot-shaped. Not entirely sure when I’ll ever use a larp safe peg leg again though…
Huge bits of pig- what I shoved in my face in between carving/hand burning was tasty, but I wish I’d nabbed more crackling before the gannets got to it. There would have been more, but Dave didn’t realise that the two small joints were loin so didn’t have a rind. I think the shoulder joints worked best- after four hours in the oven they didn’t so much need slicing as just tearing apart. Wish people hadn't started taking seconds on the bread rolls before some people (i.e. me and Dave)
Singing- I liked all the songs, but special mention to Flash and both his version of the Not A Boat entry and the Parrot song (which I’ve had stuck in my head for the day- if anyone has the actual words I’d be grateful!).
Horrible murder and party nonchalance- the absolute absurdity of what happened just had me in hysterics. G’Mord’s versions of cunning plans (apparently, if I hadn’t called for help, he was going to cut up my body and put it in a cooking pot), Breeze’s utter confusion and exasperation and treating my unconscious body like a guinea pig (we’ll put her in a box, with some hay and some food!), the amount of people who wandered in, saw the massive puddle of blood and G’Mord sitting next to my unconscious body, and acted like that was a totally mundane occurrence, body disposal (“ok, so you cut my head off, and have weighed my body down with a chain… What are you going to do with the head?” “… Bollocks”)… It was utterly ridiculous.
Horrible murder- Yes, it was fun, but the time it took to do all the faffing meant I didn’t even vaguely finish cleaning up after dinner until around 1am.
Mess- I was going to put up a post before the 24hr about people tidying up after themselves, but didn’t because I thought it sounded too passive aggressive and was just common sense anyway. Now I wish I had… For feck’s sake, if you finish something, put the rubbish in the bin. ‘I’ll do it later’ is not the correct response, because let’s be honest, you won’t. You’ll leave it there until someone does it for you. If you spill coffee or coffee granules over the side, wipe it up. When you’ve finished eating, put your plate in the designated ‘dirty washing up area’, *after* scraping off any uneaten food. This is why it took so bloody long to clear up after dinner.
Showers- OK, I wasn’t expecting them to be brilliant, but they were all quite gross (how do you get a layer of dried mud in the bottom of a shower? How dirty are you?) and could best be described as ‘occasionally warm’.
Noise- mostly traffic, but Friday night was also quite loud from people. I don’t really sleep while camping at the best of times, but when I can hear you over the noise of a motorway… Maybe time for indoor voices.
Weapons indoors- The amount of times I almost got stabbed, or breakable things nearly got knocked over because people were wearing swords that stuck out at a ninety degree angle was ridiculous. Yes, you might be concerned about theft, but you can either hold them, or give them to someone else to hold. The space is not big enough for you to have four foot of extra width.
I didn't really get to do enough to comment much on anything outside the hut, so I have no idea what any of the challenges were like. I definitely like the site more in warmer weather, but I suppose that's a bit of a no brainer.
Tent- didn’t leak! Huzzah! Patches seem OK, probably didn’t actually need the under groundsheet (which needs a trim anyway).
Peg leg and other props- for things which didn’t take very long at all, and were mostly made with stuff I had lying around, I was quite happy. Ugly Parrot didn’t turn out quite as ugly as I thought, and the improvised pattern actually went together to form something vaguely parrot-shaped. Not entirely sure when I’ll ever use a larp safe peg leg again though…
Huge bits of pig- what I shoved in my face in between carving/hand burning was tasty, but I wish I’d nabbed more crackling before the gannets got to it. There would have been more, but Dave didn’t realise that the two small joints were loin so didn’t have a rind. I think the shoulder joints worked best- after four hours in the oven they didn’t so much need slicing as just tearing apart. Wish people hadn't started taking seconds on the bread rolls before some people (i.e. me and Dave)
Singing- I liked all the songs, but special mention to Flash and both his version of the Not A Boat entry and the Parrot song (which I’ve had stuck in my head for the day- if anyone has the actual words I’d be grateful!).
Horrible murder and party nonchalance- the absolute absurdity of what happened just had me in hysterics. G’Mord’s versions of cunning plans (apparently, if I hadn’t called for help, he was going to cut up my body and put it in a cooking pot), Breeze’s utter confusion and exasperation and treating my unconscious body like a guinea pig (we’ll put her in a box, with some hay and some food!), the amount of people who wandered in, saw the massive puddle of blood and G’Mord sitting next to my unconscious body, and acted like that was a totally mundane occurrence, body disposal (“ok, so you cut my head off, and have weighed my body down with a chain… What are you going to do with the head?” “… Bollocks”)… It was utterly ridiculous.
Horrible murder- Yes, it was fun, but the time it took to do all the faffing meant I didn’t even vaguely finish cleaning up after dinner until around 1am.
Mess- I was going to put up a post before the 24hr about people tidying up after themselves, but didn’t because I thought it sounded too passive aggressive and was just common sense anyway. Now I wish I had… For feck’s sake, if you finish something, put the rubbish in the bin. ‘I’ll do it later’ is not the correct response, because let’s be honest, you won’t. You’ll leave it there until someone does it for you. If you spill coffee or coffee granules over the side, wipe it up. When you’ve finished eating, put your plate in the designated ‘dirty washing up area’, *after* scraping off any uneaten food. This is why it took so bloody long to clear up after dinner.
Showers- OK, I wasn’t expecting them to be brilliant, but they were all quite gross (how do you get a layer of dried mud in the bottom of a shower? How dirty are you?) and could best be described as ‘occasionally warm’.
Noise- mostly traffic, but Friday night was also quite loud from people. I don’t really sleep while camping at the best of times, but when I can hear you over the noise of a motorway… Maybe time for indoor voices.
Weapons indoors- The amount of times I almost got stabbed, or breakable things nearly got knocked over because people were wearing swords that stuck out at a ninety degree angle was ridiculous. Yes, you might be concerned about theft, but you can either hold them, or give them to someone else to hold. The space is not big enough for you to have four foot of extra width.
I didn't really get to do enough to comment much on anything outside the hut, so I have no idea what any of the challenges were like. I definitely like the site more in warmer weather, but I suppose that's a bit of a no brainer.
no subject
Date: 2015-04-13 04:53 pm (UTC)I have a copy of the words to the Parrot song, how would you like them sending to you?
no subject
Date: 2015-04-13 04:56 pm (UTC)